Statistics Canada released the 2016 Census of Agriculture on May 10, focusing on Farm and Farm Operator Data and Reference Maps.
The census counted 193,492 farms, a 5.9% decrease from the 2011 census. This was the lowest rate of decline in the last 20 years. The average area per farm has increased from 779 acres in the 2011 census to an average of 820 acres in 2016.
- Accounted for 59.8% of national corn for grain area and 49.6% of national soybean area in 2016
- Cropland increased 1.0% to 9.0 million acres
- Soybean area more than doubled from 2011 census, the largest soybean increase in soybean area in Canada
- Province had largest proportion of farm operators under 35 years of age and second youngest population of farm operators in 2016
- Despite fewer farms in the province in 2016 from 2011, the average farm size increased 7.0%
- Area of cropland increased 11.2% to 40.5 million acres
- Despite a decrease in the number of census farms from 2011, Alberta continues to have the second largest number of farms in Canada following Ontario
- Average farm size grew from 1,168 acres in 2011 to 1,237 acres in 2016
- Field crop area increased 9.6% from 2011 to 483,957 acres in 2016
- Province had highest proportion of female farm operators (37.5%) in Canada in 2016, up from 36.5% in 2011
Census Release Dates
Remaining sections of the 2016 Census of Agriculture will be released on the following dates:
May 17 to June 21, 2017: Analytical series (weekly releases)
June 28, 2017: Canada 150 - agriculture (infographic)
September 13, 2017: Agricultural Ecumene
December 13, 2017: Historical data; Thematic Maps
Fall 2017 to Fall 2018: Canadian Agriculture at a Glance
November 27, 2018: Agriculture-Population Linkage Data
- Ag Census Report Reveals Changes in Marketing and Technology The final weekly report from the 2016 Census of Agriculture was published on June 21st and looks at the marketing strategies used by producers and the growing uses of technology in operations across the country. M...
- Canadian Crops Highlighted in 2016 Ag Census Report Statistics Canada released its third weekly report from the 2016 Census of Agriculture on May 31. The report, Seeding decisions harvest opportunities for Canadian farmers, looks at the variety of Canadian field crops...
- New Cutworm Guide Available A new identification and management field guide has recently launched to help producers manage cutworms this season. Twenty-one cutworm species are covered in the guide, Cutworm Pests of Crops on the Canadian Prai...
- 2016 Ag Census Launches Report on Farm Operations Statistics Canada has released its first segment of a weekly analytical series that focuses on The 2016 Census of Agriculture. The first weekly analytical series, “A portrait of a 21st century agricultural operati...
- AGRI-TREND Joins Ultimate Yield Management Institute The Ultimate Yield Management Institute (UYMI) announced on May 3rd that AGRI-TREND, a division of Trimble Navigation, will be joining them to further practical field research for the benefit of producers. The agr...