Nestled in the picturesque Canadian Rockies, the 2017 CAAR Conference hosted at the Fairmont Banff Springs offered an unforgettable experience for agri-retailers. The conference provided attendees with valuable opportunities to enhance their expertise and network with their peers over three days at the only national conference tailored to the business of agri-retail.
The Tradeshow Floor
The tradeshow floor was a hub of activity throughout the conference, where attendees networked with colleagues and visited the 41 exhibitors displaying the latest innovations in technology and service across the industry.
Speaker Sessions & Panel Discussion
The conference’s impressive lineup of speakers brought their first-hand knowledge and insight to the issues affecting the retail industry today. Agriculture journalist Kevin Hursh kicked off the conference by delivering an engaging presentation that addressed carbon tax, the public perception of agriculture and more. Three industry stakeholders shared their experience with the Canadian Field Print Calculator during a conference panel discussion on sustainability.
J.P. Gervais of Farm Credit Canada examined the industry’s economic forecast, including trade relations between Canada, the U.S. and China. Bill Keogh of Experiata helped attendees understand how to build a strong customer base through utilizing data. Capping off the conference, Michelle Ray from the Lead Yourself First Institute encouraged attendees to adopt the latest technology to further serve their customers.
Nine exhibitors took to the stage for the first-ever Innovation Showdown and put everything on the line, competing to win the favour of the audience with a presentation about their products or services in two minutes or less.
This friendly competition featured a variety of presentation styles, including a TV commercial-style skit acted out in real time, a pre-recorded infomercial, a guessing game called, “Can it Be Done With A Drone?” and more. The Innovation Showdown was laugh-out-loud funny and original for everyone involved. It was close, but in the end, Markus Weber from LandView Drones was declared the winner.
CAAR’s Choice Awards Banquet
Five retailers were honoured for their impressive accomplishments and commitment to the agri-retail industry during the 10th annual CAAR’s Choice Awards Banquet. An enthusiastic audience gave each winning retailer a roaring round of applause following a delicious banquet meal.
After the awards program concluded, comedian Darrin Rose took to the stage for the evening’s entertainment. He had the audience in stitches with his standup routine and later brought attendees onstage to play a hilarious round of “Match Game.”
Click here to read exclusive interviews with each of this year’s CAAR’s Choice Awards winners.
- Explore Saskatoon Nestled in the heart of the Prairies, Saskatoon is bursting with energy and activities. Nestled in the heart of the Prairies, Saskatoon is bursting with energy and activities. When you’re not busy taking in the t...
- Speaker Spotlight This year's CAAR Conference features an exceptional lineup of insightful speakers and excellent entertainment. The Communicator spoke with two of our featured speakers to get a preview of what conference delegates ca...
- Stronger Together Independent retailers unite to enhance their competitive edge and strengthen their ability to serve customer needs. Independent retailers unite to enhance their competitive edge and strengthen their ability to ser...
- The Anatomy of a Terminal Build Two new terminals from Federated Co-operatives Ltd. are leading the way in efficiency and design. Federated Co-operatives Ltd. (FCL) has finished building two state-of-the-art fertilizer terminals in Hanley, Sask....
- The Power of Collaboration Two companies put competition aside to team up and further benefit their customers. When agri-retailers look beyond competition and come together to benefit producers, incredible things can happen. Earlier this ye...