With the start of another growing season comes the need for a renewed vigilance to safety and awareness. CAAR has a number of resources available to keep you, your employees, your customers and the general public safer in the presence of farm chemicals and equipment. Continue reading to find courses and training opportunities to fit your operation’s needs.
Expand your knowledge, earn a new certification or get employees up to speed by signing up for a training course through CAAR! We are pleased to offer training programs that specifically meet the needs of the ag retailer; and, with spring upon us, there’s no time like the present to complete one or more of the courses below. CAAR members, be sure to log in to see exclusive member pricing.
Safety Training Through CAAR
- This course is designed to promote safe transportation and handling of anhydrous ammonia at an agri-retail location or distribution centre.
- Successful trainees receive a Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) certificate valid for three years from the date signed, confirming they are qualified to transport and handle anhydrous ammonia (Class 2.3 (8)).
- This course has been developed for CAAR using TDG classes found in agri-retail businesses to assist retailers in complying with the TDG Act and Regulations.
- Successful trainees receive a TDG certificate valid for three years from the date signed confirming that they are qualified to handle, offer for transport and transport goods under Classes 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3, 5.1, 6.1 8 and 9.
- Safety doesn’t end at the farm gate! This course is designed to promote the safe transportation and handling of anhydrous ammonia at the farm level and was recently refreshed by Fertilizer Canada. Read more about the course refresh in the April Communicator
- Successful trainees receive: a TDG certificate valid for three years from the date signed confirming that they are qualified to transport and handle anhydrous ammonia (Class 2.3 (8)).
- This course is designed to train individuals for the inspection, testing, and retesting of nurse tanks and applicator tanks, in accordance with CSA B620-09. Re-certification is available online.
- Successful trainees receive: Tank Inspector Certification (valid for three (3) years).
- Getting your WHMIS certification is quick and easy through caar.org! This online version of WHMIS is based on the federal WHMIS 2015 regulations in effect as of December 1 2018, after the end of the transition period.
- Course information on the Consumer Chemical hazard classes, and information employees need to be aware of when products labelled under the Consumer labeling system are brought into the workplace.
The Canadian Agricultural Safety Association (CASA) has several training programs, offered in person and online, for employees (seasonal and permanent) and family members who help out on the farm.
If you know of a customer whose operation could benefit from safety training, please direct them to the CASA Website for further details on training opportunities and resources, and for information about the National Occupational Standard for Agricultural Occupational Health and Safety Specialists.
Visit casa-acsa.ca for more information.
- NH3 TDG Certification CAAR is proud to offer safety training and regulatory compliance assistance, as well as resources dedicated to helping members stay up to date on critical knowledge and certification. See below for highlighted Anhydr...
- CAAR NTSP Fall 2020 Training Status With increases of COVID-19 positive tests across the prairie provinces, CAAR will not be hosting in-person NTSP training for the Fall of 2020. As an alternative, CAAR will host virtual training events during the Fall...
- Investing in Certified Seed Program Developed by CSGA and available through CAAR, the Investing in Certified Seed program is designed to assist Canadian seed retailers develop the knowledge required to inform grower customers on the benefits certified ...
- Nurse Tank Safety Program Training Survey Reminder The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) is looking to host an in-person Nurse Tank Safety Training (NTSP) course if there is sufficient demand. Please complete the short survey by Monday, August 10 if you a...
- Nurse Tank Safety Program Training Survey 2020 The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) is looking to host an in-person Nurse Tank Safety Training (NTSP) course if there is sufficient demand. Please complete the short survey by Monday, August 10 if you a...