Under the authority of the Pest Control Products Act and based on the evaluation of currently available scientific information, Health Canada is cancelling outdoor uses of chlorpyrifos except for a limited list of uses that require mitigation measures, due to risks to the environment that have not been shown to be acceptable.
Re-evaluation decision for chlorpyrifos on the environment
The following uses are acceptable from an environmental perspective with required mitigation measures:
• Standing water (temporary pools for larval mosquito control)
• Outdoor adult mosquito control
• Structural indoor and outdoor (non-residential)
• Outdoor ornamentals (container stock root immersion only) for control of Japanese beetle larvae
• Elm bark beetle and mountain pine beetle control
• Greenhouse ornamentals
Cancelled uses with an extended phase-out schedule:
The following two cancelled uses were found to lack suitable alternatives:
• Canola – for alfalfa looper control
• Garlic – for dark sided and red backed cutworm
Click here for full details of the announcement.