*Note: this article contains the most up to date information on CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates regarding the B620/622 changes. In the case of discrepancy, please disregard previous information.
Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) has received a revised Equivalency Certificate (SH11960.1) and a revised Temporary Certificate (TH 0653.1) to provide compliance relief on the hydrostatic testing requirements on nurse tanks.
The application of both certificates has changed. The certificates now includes non-member owned tanks such as those tanks owned by farmers, so long as they are filled by members of CAAR.
CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates each captures the following users:
- The members of CAAR and their clients;
- Any person using a CAAR member-owned tank or a CAAR member-leased tank, or
- Any person on behalf of the members of CAAR.
This change will significantly facilitate the inclusion of tanks that are filled by CAAR members who will ensure that the conditions of the equivalency certificate and temporary certificate are met.
The definition of client as stated by Transport Canada is:
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, gets his or her tank filled by a member of CAAR;
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, enters into an agreement with a member of CAAR to transport his or her tank to and from the retailer for filling;
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, enters into an agreement with a member of CAAR to store his or her tanks during the off-season.
In all the examples above, the farmer would be considered a “client” of the CAAR member.
This change (i.e. adding, “and their clients”) does NOT cover situations where the farmer interacts with a person who is NOT a member of CAAR. For these situations, the farmer has four options:
- Apply for their own equivalency and/or temporary certificate;
- Request the non-member retailer, who is interacting with the farmer, becomes a member of CAAR;
- Interact with a member of CAAR to invoke the notion of “clients” as indicated in the certificate, or
- Comply with the TDG Act, Regulations and Standards as they are currently written.
CAAR members download the updated certificates below:
Equivalency Certificate SH 11960.1
Certificat d’équivalence SH 11960.1
Temporary Certificate TH 0653.1
Please note that CAAR membership is a requirement for use of these certificates.
Benefits of CAAR Membership
As the national advocate for Canada’s agri-retailers, CAAR’s involvement on critical issues affecting your business is necessary to ensure the long term sustainability of the industry. CAAR’s advocacy efforts are supported through membership and furthered through industry collaboration.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the coordinates below.
- Save the Date for the 2019 CAAR Conference Mark your calendars for the 2019 CAAR Conference, Feb. 12-14 in Winnipeg, MB! After the success of the 2018 conference in Saskatoon, SK, the conference planning committee is already hard at work putting together the ...
- CAAR Member Survey Is Coming CAAR is pleased to announce the next phase in its strategic overview and planning process – the annual CAAR member survey. Launching this month, the survey is designed to get critical feedback from CAAR members to he...
- CAAR Perk$ Spotlight: Humaniqa You have a lot to think about when it comes to running your business, but the right tools can improve efficiency and bring you peace of mind. Humaniqa, offered through the CAAR Perk$ program, makes handling human re...
- Thank You For Conserving Canada’s Soil During National Soil Conservation Week, CAAR would like to thank our members for their dedication to helping their customers make the best decisions on their operations to protect our soils for the next generations. ...
- NH3 Update: Hydrostatic Testing Relief Granted for Spring 2018 Transport Canada has agreed to provide agri-retailers time to complete hydrostatic testing, which will ensure adequate anhydrous ammonia resources for farmers this spring. The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (...