*Note: this article contains the most up to date information on CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates regarding the B620/622 changes. In the case of discrepancy, please disregard previous information.
Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) has received a revised Equivalency Certificate (SH11960.1) and a revised Temporary Certificate (TH 0653.1) to provide compliance relief on the hydrostatic testing requirements on nurse tanks.
The application of both certificates has changed. The certificates now includes non-member owned tanks such as those tanks owned by farmers, so long as they are filled by members of CAAR.
CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates each captures the following users:
- The members of CAAR and their clients;
- Any person using a CAAR member-owned tank or a CAAR member-leased tank, or
- Any person on behalf of the members of CAAR.
This change will significantly facilitate the inclusion of tanks that are filled by CAAR members who will ensure that the conditions of the equivalency certificate and temporary certificate are met.
The definition of client as stated by Transport Canada is:
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, gets his or her tank filled by a member of CAAR;
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, enters into an agreement with a member of CAAR to transport his or her tank to and from the retailer for filling;
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, enters into an agreement with a member of CAAR to store his or her tanks during the off-season.
In all the examples above, the farmer would be considered a “client” of the CAAR member.
This change (i.e. adding, “and their clients”) does NOT cover situations where the farmer interacts with a person who is NOT a member of CAAR. For these situations, the farmer has four options:
- Apply for their own equivalency and/or temporary certificate;
- Request the non-member retailer, who is interacting with the farmer, becomes a member of CAAR;
- Interact with a member of CAAR to invoke the notion of “clients” as indicated in the certificate, or
- Comply with the TDG Act, Regulations and Standards as they are currently written.
CAAR members download the updated certificates below:
Equivalency Certificate SH 11960.1
Certificat d’équivalence SH 11960.1
Temporary Certificate TH 0653.1
Please note that CAAR membership is a requirement for use of these certificates.
Benefits of CAAR Membership
As the national advocate for Canada’s agri-retailers, CAAR’s involvement on critical issues affecting your business is necessary to ensure the long term sustainability of the industry. CAAR’s advocacy efforts are supported through membership and furthered through industry collaboration.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the coordinates below.
- CAAR Members Give Back Through the Thank-A-Retailer Contest CAAR congratulates Prairie Giants Crop Supply (Inglis, Man.) and Sharpe’s Crop Services (Moosomin, Sask.) for their recent wins in ADAMA’s Thank-a-Retailer Community Contest! Both retailers received $15,000 to suppor...
- Happy Holidays from CAAR CAAR’s staff and board of directors would like to wish our members and their families a safe and restful holiday season. Our office will be closed from December 23 through January 3. We will re-open on January 6, 20...
- CAAR Issued Equivalency Certificate SH 11960.2 CAAR is pleased to announce that it has received an Equivalency Certificate from Transport Canada which provides certain variances from the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) B622 Standard related to pressure testi...
- Global Fertilizer Day is October 13 The Canadian fertilizer industry has a lot to be proud of, and CAAR would like to encourage all of its members to celebrate the advancements and achievements of the industry by participating in Global Fertilizer Day ...
- CAAR's Industry Committee Participation As a CAAR member, you help support your association’s advocacy activities. In turn, when important industry issues and initiatives are brought forward, your association can help represent your interests by ensuring y...