*Note: this article contains the most up to date information on CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates regarding the B620/622 changes. In the case of discrepancy, please disregard previous information.
Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) has received a revised Equivalency Certificate (SH11960.1) and a revised Temporary Certificate (TH 0653.1) to provide compliance relief on the hydrostatic testing requirements on nurse tanks.
The application of both certificates has changed. The certificates now includes non-member owned tanks such as those tanks owned by farmers, so long as they are filled by members of CAAR.
CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates each captures the following users:
- The members of CAAR and their clients;
- Any person using a CAAR member-owned tank or a CAAR member-leased tank, or
- Any person on behalf of the members of CAAR.
This change will significantly facilitate the inclusion of tanks that are filled by CAAR members who will ensure that the conditions of the equivalency certificate and temporary certificate are met.
The definition of client as stated by Transport Canada is:
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, gets his or her tank filled by a member of CAAR;
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, enters into an agreement with a member of CAAR to transport his or her tank to and from the retailer for filling;
- A farmer, who is not a member of CAAR, enters into an agreement with a member of CAAR to store his or her tanks during the off-season.
In all the examples above, the farmer would be considered a “client” of the CAAR member.
This change (i.e. adding, “and their clients”) does NOT cover situations where the farmer interacts with a person who is NOT a member of CAAR. For these situations, the farmer has four options:
- Apply for their own equivalency and/or temporary certificate;
- Request the non-member retailer, who is interacting with the farmer, becomes a member of CAAR;
- Interact with a member of CAAR to invoke the notion of “clients” as indicated in the certificate, or
- Comply with the TDG Act, Regulations and Standards as they are currently written.
CAAR members download the updated certificates below:
Equivalency Certificate SH 11960.1
Certificat d’équivalence SH 11960.1
Temporary Certificate TH 0653.1
Please note that CAAR membership is a requirement for use of these certificates.
Benefits of CAAR Membership
As the national advocate for Canada’s agri-retailers, CAAR’s involvement on critical issues affecting your business is necessary to ensure the long term sustainability of the industry. CAAR’s advocacy efforts are supported through membership and furthered through industry collaboration.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the coordinates below.
- NTSP Safety Training in Brandon - Register Now! The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers is pleased to host NTSP Safety Training covering the testing and inspection requirements of the CSA B620 and CSA B622 Safety Standards. Read more for details on the training...
- MB Application of Nutrients Now Permitted Manitoba’s provincial restriction of the winter application of agriculture nutrients has now ended, fertilizer (including manure) may now be applied across the province. CAAR thanks the Government of Manitoba for...
- 2019 Environmental Respect Awards Applications Open Applications are now being accepted for the Environmental Respect Awards (ERAs), an annual awards program honouring the environmental stewardship demonstrated by agri-retailers who sell, handle or apply crop protecti...
- It’s Spring Training Season! Get ready for a busy spring by registering your staff for the “Anhydrous Ammonia: Retailer Safe Handling and TDG Certification” course. This valuable training ensures employees who handle anhydrous ammonia are traine...
- CAAR Perk$ Profile: Western Financial Group Western Financial Group is a Manitoba-based company, with a holistic approach to insurance and a commitment to efficient and cost-effective services. Through the CAAR Perk$ program, CAAR members have access to Wester...