CAAR advises all Manitoba members that due to current environment conditions and forecasted overnight temperatures dropping below -10°C, Manitoba Sustainable Development, with input from multiple provincial agriculture stakeholders, will not be implementing a variance to the November 10, 2018 to April 10, 2019 Restrictions on Winter Applications of Nutrients.
The restriction applies to nutrient sources containing nitrogen and/or phosphorus, including synthetic fertilizer and livestock manure. Manitoba Sustainable Development will continue to monitor environmental conditions and seek input of provincial agriculture stakeholders. In the event of regional changes of environmental conditions, a regional variation to the restriction may be considered.
If an individual wishes to make a formal request for a variance, the request must be provided in writing by a Professional Agrologist or Certified Crop Adviser and signed by the producer.
The request must include soil test results and recommended nutrient application through broadcast/incorporation or injection only.
More information about requesting individual variances can be found here.
Emergency Manure Situations
At any time throughout the winter, emergency manure situations may occur. Pursuant to Section 14(4) of the Livestock Manure and Mortalities Management Regulation (M.R. 42/98), the director may authorize winter application of manure due to an emergency situation or extenuating circumstance.
Manitoba Retail Input
CAAR will continue to seek input from Manitoba Ag Retailers as environmental conditions change and will identify opportunities to recommend regional variances to Manitoba Sustainable Development.
- CAAR Member Achieves 4R Certification The Cottam branch of CAAR retailer member Setterington's Fertilizer Service Ltd. has recently become the third agriculture nutrient service provider to achieve Ontario 4R Certification, a program administered by Fert...
- CAAR Presents 2019 Agronomy Award to U of M Agriculture Student Mitch Rezansoff attended the University of Manitoba School of Agriculture’s recent Diploma Convocation Dinner to present graduating student Easton Sellers with the 2019 CAAR Agronomy Award. CAAR annually presents tw...
- Mitch Rezansoff Attends Fertilizer Canada’s Parliamentary Forum CAAR Executive Director Mitch Rezansoff travelled to Ottawa to meet with Members of Parliament and industry colleagues during Fertilizer Canada’s annual Parliamentary Forum from April 9-10. Read more for a summary of...
- MB Application of Nutrients Now Permitted Manitoba’s provincial restriction of the winter application of agriculture nutrients has now ended, fertilizer (including manure) may now be applied across the province. CAAR thanks the Government of Manitoba for...
- No Variance: Manitoba Nutrient Application Restriction Manitoba Sustainable Development has decided that the provincial restriction on winter application of nutrients will remain in place until 11:59 CDT, Wednesday, April 10. Based on current and forecasted weather condi...