And we’re off! Ag retailers from across Canada gathered in the heart of the continent in Winnipeg, MB today to break the ice at the 24th Annual CAAR Conference.
Taking Care of Business
Before getting the celebrations underway, CAAR’s board, staff and membership took care of important business at CAAR’s Annual General Meeting.
“I think that for any organization that you’re a part of, it’s important to be an active participant with all aspects of the organization, including its official meetings,” says conference delegate Steven McQueen from MC Ag Solutions. “Voting at CAAR’s AGM is what drives the association’s activities. If you’re involved in an association I think you should be engaged at all levels.”
2019 AGM highlights include confirming the 2019-20 Board of Directors to guide your association through the year, and taking a look at CAAR’s new long term strategy.
CAAR extends its sincere thanks to to all outgoing board members. Your contributions to the association have been innumerable. To our new board members, we welcome you aboard and look forward to working to working with you to support CAAR’s diverse membership.
Breaking the Ice
With official business settled for the evening, conference participants moved to the Icebreaker Cocktail Reception to celebrate Canada’s agriculture day. CAAR’s Icebreaker Cocktail Reception has coincided with Canada’s Agriculture Day since the inception of Canada’s Ag Day in 2017.
While raising a glass to Canada's Ag Day, conference participants had the opportunity to catch up with familiar faces.
“I’ve been coming to the conference for about 10 years. It’s a great place to be,” says Nathan Ham with Dyterra Corporation. “Good friends, good times. It’s great to see some old faces again."
Surrounded by friends and colleagues, the Icebreaker is also the perfect venue each year to expand your network of peers within the ag retail sector.
“This is my first CAAR Conference and the Icebreaker is excellent so far. There is a huge opportunity here at this conference to meet new people and make connections,” says Gerri Masciangelo, from Norseman Structures. “Although this is personally my first time at the conference, my company was exhibiting here last year and we got phenomenal feedback. I’m happy to be here and to keep the ball rolling."
It was a true pleasure for all of CAAR’s board and staff to connect with so many members ahead of the official conference opening tomorrow. We’ll see you bright and early for breakfast on the tradeshow floor, followed by Roundtable Networking Discussions.
Registration Desk Hours
Couldn’t make it to the AGM and Icebreaker? Make the registration desk your first spot to receive your conference badge. The Registration Desk will be open the following hours:
- 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
- 6:00 - 7:00 pm (Ahead of CAAR’s Choice Awards banquet)
CAARcon2019 Day Two Agenda Highlights
This is just a selection of the informative speakers and exciting events lined up for Day Two of the 2019 CAAR Conference!
7:30 – 8:00 am: Breakfast on the Tradeshow Floor
Start your day with a delicious breakfast and get an early look at the exhibitors.
8:00 – 9:00 am: Roundtable Discussions
Admission by pre-registration. Four thought-provoking discussion topics encourage conversations that will resonate beyond the conference.
9:00 – 9:10 am: Opening of the 2019 CAAR Conference
9:10 – 9:40 am: Industry Updates
Presenters: Dennis Prouse (CropLife Canada), Erin Armstrong (Canterra Seeds/Canadian Seed Trade Association), Cassandra Cotton (Fertilizer Canada).
10:30 – 11:30 am: Farmer Panel Discussion
Listen to our farmer panelists give insight into what they need and want from their retailers.
11:40 am – 12:30 pm: Mental Health Awareness in the Ag Retail Industry
Lesley Kelly, farmer and Do More Ag Foundation co-founder will share insights into mental health awareness in the ag retail industry.
sponsored by Farm Credit Canada
12:30 – 1:30 pm: Lunch on the Tradeshow Floor
sponsored by FWS Group of Companies
1:30 – 3:00 pm: CAAR Pro-Ag Investments Auction, hosted on the tradeshow floor
Bid high and buy great auction items! Crowd favourite auctioneers Dallas Ballie and Sheldon Matsalla return, along with a special guest auctioneer!
3:00 – 5:30 pm: Beers of the World
Back by popular demand! Hosted by AgResource Connects at the Delta Hotels Winnipeg.
6:00 – 11:00 pm: CAAR’s Choice Awards Banquet, hosted on the tradeshow floor
A limited number of banquet tickets are still available for purchase. Don’t miss out on the elegant opportunity to celebrate the best of the best in ag retail. Gets your tickets at the registration desk.
- Save the Date for the 2021 CAAR Conference Mark your calendars and make plans to join us Feb. 9-11, 2021 for two and a half days of networking, education and professional development in the “City of Champions” – Edmonton, Alberta. Now in its 26th year, the...
- Congratulations to This Year's CAAR's Choice Award Winners The best-of-the-best in ag retail were celebrated at the CAAR’s Choice Awards Banquet during the 2020 CAAR Conference in Saskatoon, Sask. Keep reading to see who took home the top honours. This year, the following...
- Reminder to Fill Out Your CAAR Conference Survey Calling all 2020 CAAR Conference delegates: remember to provide your feedback on the event for your chance to win a $50 VISA gift card. Check your email inbox for a link to fill out CAAR’s Post-Conference Survey. Don...
- 2020 CAAR Conference - Day One Recap The 2020 CAAR Conference kicked-off in style this evening at the annual Icebreaker Cocktail Reception. The mood was festive as conference delegates and exhibitors gathered at TCU Place in Saskatoon, Sask. to break th...
- 2020 CAAR Member Forum Seize the moment while the CAAR Conference is fresh in your mind – join the CAAR Member Forum to provide your feedback on the 2020 CAAR Conference, and all things CAAR! We want to hear from you. The CAAR Member Foru...