Government & Industry
CAAR fights on your behalf for issues and regulations that impact your business – issues like safe product handling, site security and training. We strive to bring your perspective to regulators before decisions are made, and work to ensure that the laws and guidelines they develop make sense for your business. Through years of meetings, events and correspondence, CAAR has become a well known and respected face on Parliament Hill and with other industry groups. We continually research the issues that may affect you, and encourage you to advise the CAAR office on any issues we should be addressing.
CAAR actively defends the agri-retail industry and continues to seek out ways to support agri-retailers across Canada. CAAR is proud to represent the agri-retail industry in several forums including attendance and speaking opportunities at national and international events.
Here are just some of the ways CAAR is advocating on behalf of agri-retailers:
Advocacy and Education Initiatives
CAAR is proud to support and keep retailers informed of many important initiatives in Canadian agriculture, such as:
CAAR has actively promoted a sound science approach to responsible pesticide use and stewardship, participating in initiatives like:
Industry Roundtables and Coalitions
There are many roundtables, coalitions, and other groups coming together to build a variety of strategies for the long-term success of agriculture, and CAAR is proud to support and stay connected to as many of those initiatives as possible, including:
- Honey Bee Health Coalition
- Canadian Field Print Initiative
- Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Crops
- Biotech Coalition
- Canadian Seed Round Table
Nutrient Management Initiatives
CAAR is a proud supporter of initiatives like 4R that focus on proper stewardship of crop nutrients, and seeks to actively encourage a sound science approach to regulations on all levels. Recent activity includes:
CAAR actively participated in support of Bill C-18, and supports messaging that helps encourage a clear understanding of the vital role that seed technology plays in the growth of agriculture, such as:
- CAAR Urges Member Responses to PMRA’s Proposed Ban CAAR is one of several industry groups forming a unified coalition to respond to the PMRA’s proposed decisions on Clothianidin and Thiamethoxam that were announced August 15. Together, this group has formed a seri...
- CAAR Among Industry Groups Concerned about PMRA’s Proposed Decision on Neonics On Aug. 15, the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) released proposed decisions to phase out all outdoor use of clothianidin and thiamethoxam, two important products that have been used responsibly by Canadian c...
- Member Alert: Update on CAAR’s Equivalency Certificate and Temporary Certificate *Note: this article contains the most up to date information on CAAR’s Equivalency and Temporary Certificates regarding the B620/622 changes. In the case of discrepancy, please disregard previous information. Canadi...
- NH3 Update: Hydrostatic Testing Relief Granted for Spring 2018 Transport Canada has agreed to provide agri-retailers time to complete hydrostatic testing, which will ensure adequate anhydrous ammonia resources for farmers this spring. The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (...
- Sponsor and Support CAAR at the 2018 CAAR Conference Don’t miss the chance to gain extraordinary value and corporate exposure in return for supporting your association at the 2018 CAAR Conference! By participating in or donating to the CAAR Pro-Ag Investments Auctio...