Government & Industry
CAAR fights on your behalf for issues and regulations that impact your business – issues like safe product handling, site security and training. We strive to bring your perspective to regulators before decisions are made, and work to ensure that the laws and guidelines they develop make sense for your business. Through years of meetings, events and correspondence, CAAR has become a well known and respected face on Parliament Hill and with other industry groups. We continually research the issues that may affect you, and encourage you to advise the CAAR office on any issues we should be addressing.
CAAR actively defends the agri-retail industry and continues to seek out ways to support agri-retailers across Canada. CAAR is proud to represent the agri-retail industry in several forums including attendance and speaking opportunities at national and international events.
Here are just some of the ways CAAR is advocating on behalf of agri-retailers:
Advocacy and Education Initiatives
CAAR is proud to support and keep retailers informed of many important initiatives in Canadian agriculture, such as:
CAAR has actively promoted a sound science approach to responsible pesticide use and stewardship, participating in initiatives like:
Industry Roundtables and Coalitions
There are many roundtables, coalitions, and other groups coming together to build a variety of strategies for the long-term success of agriculture, and CAAR is proud to support and stay connected to as many of those initiatives as possible, including:
- Honey Bee Health Coalition
- Canadian Field Print Initiative
- Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Crops
- Biotech Coalition
- Canadian Seed Round Table
Nutrient Management Initiatives
CAAR is a proud supporter of initiatives like 4R that focus on proper stewardship of crop nutrients, and seeks to actively encourage a sound science approach to regulations on all levels. Recent activity includes:
CAAR actively participated in support of Bill C-18, and supports messaging that helps encourage a clear understanding of the vital role that seed technology plays in the growth of agriculture, such as:
- Become a Certified Crop Adviser - Exam Registration is Now Open Join more than 14,000 Certified Crop Advisers (CCAs) and bring added value to your grower customers by taking the International Certified Crop Adviser (ICCA) exam. The next exam will be administered on Feb. 7, 2020. ...
- Apply to Bring Mental Health Training to Your Rural Community The Do More Agriculture Foundation (Do More Ag) and Farm Credit Canada (FCC) have launched year two of a program that aims to promote mental health awareness and create support systems in rural communities. The menta...
- Cleanfarms 2019 Obsolete Collection Campaign – Coming to an Ag Retailer Near You This fall, retailers across Canada will be participating in the Cleanfarms 2019 Obsolete Collection Campaign. CAAR members are encouraged to let their customers know about this free service which allows farmers to sa...
- Summit on Canadian Soil Health 2019: Setting the Course for the Future The Soil Conservation Council of Canada is hosting the Summit on Canadian Soil Health 2019 in Manitoba, Oct 1-2, 2019. Earn CEUs and hear from soil champions and stakeholders about the importance of working together ...
- CAAR's Industry Committee Participation As a CAAR member, you help support your association’s advocacy activities. In turn, when important industry issues and initiatives are brought forward, your association can help represent your interests by ensuring y...