One of the many things I have learned through my years in recruitment is the art and skill of active listening.
When we actively listen to what people are saying, we are making a conscious effort to not just hear the words, but to also understand the complete conversation.
It may also seem simple enough, but one of the best ways to get the most out of a conversation is to make sure the other person knows you are listening. We’ve all had those conversation where you just get the feeling the other party isn’t really listening to what you are saying.
Here at CAAR, I think we are a little guilty of both – not listening as well as we should and not letting you know we are listening as well as we could. We’re making changing that a priority this year.
At CAAR, we realize as the industry changes and evolves, so do the needs of our members.
As part of a program of concerted member and non-member outreach by CAAR leadership and the board of directors, we want to hear from you and learn what’s important to your business. We want to know what we are doing well, what we could be doing better, what we should be doing again and what we can do that we've never done before.
We will be launching a few projects this year that will be focused on gathering your feedback and upgrading the technology we use to manage our relationships with our members. These projects are in various states of planning, but in brief:
- Conducting a membership study to solicit your thoughts on the areas CAAR should focus on and what we can do to serve you better;
- Developing a more robust social media strategy that takes advantage of the opportunities this medium allows us to follow and participate in the conversations you, and the public, are having about our industry;
- Revising our website so the things that are important to you are only a click away (well, maybe two);
- Implementing a membership relationship management system so we can manage our relationship with you more efficiently and effectively.
Over the next several months, you'll also see more communications focused on CAAR, delivering the message of who we are, what our mandate is and details about what services and resources we provide our members.
This outreach is officially launched with this issue of the CAAR Communicator, with this note from me and the new “Get to Know Your Board” department now being permanent additions to the magazine.
Last, but far from least, planning is well underway and exciting changes are in the works for the 2021 CAAR Conference, hosted in Edmonton, AB. It will be an event you don’t want to miss!
Until we speak again, I wish you a safe and bountiful harvest!
- Reflecting and Looking Forward As I write this, snow is swirling outside my office windows and thoughts of agriculture and farming seem a long way off. In reality, agriculture and agri-retail do not rest and today is simply one stage in the produc...
- A Recipe for Success The ingredients are in place for the 2018 CAAR Conference in Saskatoon, Sask. All that’s needed to complete the mix is you and your colleagues. The upcoming CAAR Conference will offer a unique blend of opportunities ...
- Putting Members First As CAAR transitions our executive leadership, membership support and feedback are more important than ever. CAAR has entered a new phase this summer as we transition our executive leadership. Our previous CEO, Del...