Ag retailers have been at the forefront of participating in and promoting sustainability initiatives in agriculture
Data provided by Cleanfarms
CAAR members were early adopters of the Cleanfarms program, with many retailers participating as designated drop-off locations for used pesticide containers.
As the Cleanfarms program expands into more provinces and the types of materials it collects, ag retailers will continue to play a key roll in facilitating that expansion.
Container Collection by the Numbers
|SMALL CONTAINERS (>23L)||BULK CONTAINERS (<23L)|
|YEAR||Sum of Containers Collected||Collection Rate (3 year avg)||Sum of Containers Collected||Collection Rate (3 year avg)|
Over 48 million small pesticide containers have been collected by the Cleanfarms program in the past ten years, with many of those containers collected at ag retail locations.
Container Collection Participation by Province
|Province||Bags: Seed, Inoculant, Pesticides (0-1,000 kg)||Pesticide and Fertilizer Plastic Jugs||Drums and Totes (non-deposit): Pesticide and Fertilizer||Grain Bags, Bale Wrap, Poly Twine|
|BC||N/A (future)||Retail||N/A||Pilots starting 2021 (municipal)|
|AB||55 retails, S of Red Deer for 2021 pilot||Municipal||Retail||Pilot (municipal)|
|SK||Retail||Retail||Retail||Grain bags (municipal)
Twine: pilot starting 2021 (municipal)
|ON||Retail||Retail||Retail||Bale wrap: pilots starting 2021 (municipal)|
|QC||Retail (includes fertilizer totes)||Retail||Retail||Bale wrap: pilot (municipal)|
- CSTA to Host AGM Online For the first time ever, the Canadian Seed Trade Association (CSTA) will be holding its Annual General Meeting online. Log in on Wednesday, July 15 from 1-3:30 p.m. to hear remarks from CSTA’s president and staff mem...
- COVID-19 Restrictions Force a Format Change for Ag in Motion Ag in Motion, Western Canada’s Outdoor Farm Expo, is moving to an online format for 2020. The new format, “Ag in Motion Discovery Plus,” will give visitors access to all the latest in farm equipment and innovations, ...
- Celebrate National Soil Conservation Week National Soil Conservation Week starts on Sunday, April 19. This event, led by the Soil Conservation Council of Canada, is the perfect opportunity for everyone in the industry to celebrate soil and reflect on one of ...
- The Fertilizers of the Future CAAR’s executive director Mitch Rezansoff recently attended three days of meetings in Ottawa on the future of fertilizer. The CFIA’s Fertilizer Workshop, Fertilizer Canada’s Fertilizer Products Forum and The Fertiliz...
- Blackleg Battle Continues into 2020 Which canola diseases are on your team’s radar for the 2020 growing season? Chances are, blackleg is on that list. Found in 75% of canola fields across Canada, blackleg is a serious yield-robbing disease with market ...