Government & Industry
CAAR fights on your behalf for issues and regulations that impact your business – issues like safe product handling, site security and training. We strive to bring your perspective to regulators before decisions are made, and work to ensure that the laws and guidelines they develop make sense for your business. Through years of meetings, events and correspondence, CAAR has become a well known and respected face on Parliament Hill and with other industry groups. We continually research the issues that may affect you, and encourage you to advise the CAAR office on any issues we should be addressing.
CAAR actively defends the agri-retail industry and continues to seek out ways to support agri-retailers across Canada. CAAR is proud to represent the agri-retail industry in several forums including attendance and speaking opportunities at national and international events.
Here are just some of the ways CAAR is advocating on behalf of agri-retailers:
Advocacy and Education Initiatives
CAAR is proud to support and keep retailers informed of many important initiatives in Canadian agriculture, such as:
CAAR has actively promoted a sound science approach to responsible pesticide use and stewardship, participating in initiatives like:
Industry Roundtables and Coalitions
There are many roundtables, coalitions, and other groups coming together to build a variety of strategies for the long-term success of agriculture, and CAAR is proud to support and stay connected to as many of those initiatives as possible, including:
- Honey Bee Health Coalition
- Canadian Field Print Initiative
- Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Crops
- Biotech Coalition
- Canadian Seed Round Table
Nutrient Management Initiatives
CAAR is a proud supporter of initiatives like 4R that focus on proper stewardship of crop nutrients, and seeks to actively encourage a sound science approach to regulations on all levels. Recent activity includes:
CAAR actively participated in support of Bill C-18, and supports messaging that helps encourage a clear understanding of the vital role that seed technology plays in the growth of agriculture, such as:
- Volunteers Needed for Agriculture in the Classroom Program Agriculture in the Classroom-Manitoba's flagship program, Amazing Agriculture Adventure (AAA), is looking for volunteers. This year's AAA takes place on June 6th and 7th at the Keystone Centre in Brandon, MB. The ...
- Advocacy Update: Ammonia Nurse Tank Standards Update CAAR and Fertilizer Canada have been working intensively with two working groups under the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) B620 Technical Committee, seeking resolution to changes in the 2014 B620 and B622 standa...
- Advocacy Update: Fertilizer Canada Parliamentary Forum CAAR attended the annual Fertilizer Canada Parliamentary Forum in Ottawa, April 10-12, in support of fertilizer awareness. Fertilizer Canada received a highly positive response to meeting requests, with upwards of 50...
- Advocacy Update: MB Winter Nutrient Application Ban Manitoba CAAR member feedback needed for upcoming meeting with Manitoba Sustainable Development. CAAR will meet with Manitoba Sustainable Development on April 3 to begin discussing whether a variance will be required...
- Manitoba Government Invests in Agriculture Education for Students Federal Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay and Manitoba Agriculture Minister Ralph Eichler announced that the federal and provincial governments are investing $25,000 to expand and create new opportunities for yo...