To further our industry’s commitment to advancing safety and security, Fertilizer Canada has created a Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN) Security Code of Practice with input from industry and government groups. This new Code aims to provide standardized security practices for the handling, transportation, storage and/or sale of CAN in Canada.
Compliance with the CAN Security Code is mandatory for members of Fertilizer Canada and provides a proactive solution to anticipated regulations following a government review of the Explosives Regulations. Implementation of the CAN Security Code is scheduled to begin as of Jan. 1, 2019.
Agri-retail and distribution sites who transport, store, handle and/or sell CAN will be able to schedule their formal site audit in order to obtain certification. It is highly recommended to have compliance for this audit completed by Sept. 30, 2019 in order to allow sufficient time to obtain certification by the mandatory deadline of Dec. 31, 2019.
In addition to the CAN Security Code, Fertilizer Canada has created several other resources for members and their clients who handle, transport or store CAN. The Calcium Ammonium Nitrate Safety and Security Information Brochure is a resource to CAN sites – a companion document to the CAN Security Code which provides templates and guidance materials for meeting the requirements of the Code. The Calcium Ammonium Nitrate eLearning course is also available, which outlines the practices for securing CAN along the supply chain. It is a compulsory element to meet the requirements of Section D of the CAN Security Code. This course is free to take and offers a printable certificate upon completion.
For more information about the Code, compliance or available resources, please contact Fertilizer Canada or the auditing body, Agrichemical Warehousing Standards Association (AWSA), using the coordinates below:
Amanda Pach, Manager, Environment & Safety, Fertilizer Canada
Anthony Laycock, Project Manager, AWSA
- Provide the Sustainability Advice Growers Are Looking For As an agri-retailer, growers are relying on your expertise to provide solutions to the sustainability demands of consumers, and it is important to demonstrate your dedication to and knowledge of the framework. In ...
- Manitoba Restrictions on Winter Application of Nutrients CAAR advises all Manitoba members that due to current environment conditions and forecasted overnight temperatures dropping below -10°C, Manitoba Sustainable Development, with input from multiple provincial agricultu...
- Celebrate Global Fertilizer Day October 13 Global Fertilizer Day, celebrated annually on October 13, is an international awareness campaign initiated by Fertilizers Europe and supported internationally by fertilizer associations and companies with the goal of...
- CAAR Launches New Voluntary B620 Identification Decal Program CAAR is pleased to announce the launch of a new voluntary decal program to help assist in the easy identification of post weld and non-post weld heated anhydrous ammonia tanks and nurse wagons. CAAR has developed ...
- Celebrate Global Fertilizer Day Oct. 13 Global Fertilizer Day is an international awareness campaign initiated by Fertilizers Europe and supported by fertilizer associations and companies worldwide. The goal is to bring awareness to the important role fert...