Learn about CAAR's activities in our latest Quarterly At-A-Glance, providing an overview of how we represented and advocated on behalf of ag retailers across Canada from October to December 2020.
CAAR membership and member value remain the top priority of the CAAR board of directors and staff. Without the loyalty and support of our members, we would not be able to continuously produce valuable programs and services as well as advocate on behalf of Canada’s ag retailers.
Total Membership: 609 CAAR Members
including 45 new retailer member locations
- Retailers: 396
- Suppliers: 148
- Consultants: 10
- Media: 5
- Affiliates: 50
ADVOCACY & INDUSTRY PARTICIPATION
CAAR continues to work directly with federal and provincial regulators and partners with agriculture associations ensuring the uninterrupted business of ag retailing.
CAAR’s active participation in industry groups, committees and meetings ensure that Canadian ag retailers are represented consistently.
In 2020/21 Q2, CAAR was engaged in:
- Domestic MRL (Maximum Residue Limits) Committee as part of the annual review of domestic MRL policy the meetings were to discuss what went well and what needed improvement in 2020 and to make recommendations for 2021;
- Seed, Pesticide Bag Stewardship Industry Committee chaired by Clean Farms. The committee met to discuss the Western Canadian Seed and Pesticide Bag collection work plan;
- Prairie CCA AGM and Fall Board of Directors meeting;
- Cereals MRL Assessment Committee, discussing global cereal MRL changes, review risk assessments on new products or label expansions for use on wheat, barley and oats;
- Pulse Value Chain Working Group & Pulse MRL Advisory Committee to discuss MRL updates, review and classifications of pesticides;
- The COVID-19 Information Sharing Stakeholder conference calls hosted by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) in conjunction with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). CAAR continues to monitor and share details of programs and issues addressed within the calls with members;
- CleanFarms Meeting of Steering Committee member update and review of 2021 Seed, Pesticide and Inoculant Bag Collection programs. Meeting to engage CAAR Messaging of CleanFarms winter activities;
- Government of Manitoba Winter Nutrient Application Restriction Stakeholders Conference Calls and participated in the Managing Single-Use Plastics (Part 1 & 2);
- Canadian Fertilizer Products Forums, with discussions around Soil Health, Products & Emerging Trends, Microbials, Canadian Food Industry Association and Fertilizer Supplements Advisor Committee Working Group updates (hydroponics, DPP)
- Fertilizer Canada Committee and Working Groups
- Safety & Security Committee Meeting
- Ammonia Working Group: Ammonia Code of Practice revisions
- 4R Communications Working Group
- Parliamentary Forum partnered with Fertilizer Canada to focus on issues: Clean Fuel Standard, Fertilizer Regulatory Modernization, Reliable Transportation Infrastructure, 4R Nutrient Stewardship and OBPS, 4R Solutions.
During the Parliamentary forum, CAAR also communicated with:
- MP Paul Lefebvre & Emerson Vandenberg
- MP Lianne Rood
- MP Francis Drouin
- MP Alistair MacGregor
- DM Chris Forbes
- MP Michael Kram
- MP Jim Carr
2021 VIRTUAL CAAR CONFERENCE
The CAAR Conference continues to grow as the leading business conference for ag retailers, designed specifically to bring the agriculture industry together to stay informed with industry updates, network, educate and support the association.
With the conference officially going virtual, registration and the agenda launched in October. The CAAR Conference committee and CAAR staff formed an exciting three-day virtual agenda that focused on the business of ag retail, offering insightful topics and industry updates as well as networking opportunities throughout the days.
CAAR PRO-AG INVESTMENTS
The CAAR Pro-Ag Investments auction was moved online so it could be hosted during the 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference. We continued to reach out to CAAR members for auction donations and had over 20 companies support by donating items.
Proceeds of the auction directly support CAAR’s operations and activities, enabling CAAR to keep member fees low and support other causes such as CAAR’s advocacy efforts, training course upgrades, delivery of expanded and new programming and scholarships to post-secondary ag students.
CAAR offers exclusive training programs to specifically meet the needs of the ag retailer. Renew your certifications online from the comfort of your office or home.
While the busy season of training happens in Q1, online training remained steady in Q2 due to in-person training being pushed back as a result of gathering restrictions.
CAAR is continuously looking into alternatives for in-person sessions to help keep retailers in compliance.
Q2 - Online Trainees: 361
Anhydrous Ammonia: Retailer Safe Handling and TDG Certification: 49
Anhydrous Ammonia: Safety & The Farmer - TDG Certification: 254
TDG Fundamentals: Retailer TDG Certification: 38
WHMIS 2015: 13
Nurse Tank Safety Program: 5
- Last Chance to Watch Speaker Sessions from the 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference Don’t forget your CAAR Conference registration provides you even more value by giving you the opportunity to rewatch all 23 speaker sessions, download the contacts you made during the event and earn up to 9.5 CCA cre...
- Missed #CAARcon? Register Today to View all Speaker Sessions Didn’t Attend the 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference? No worries, you can still register for #CAARcon until March 5 and access our virtual event hosted on SwapCard, giving you the opportunity to watch all 23 speaker sessio...
- One Week Left To Register for the 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference With virtual attendee passes starting at $125 and the potential to earn up to 10 CEU credits, the 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference is great value and a must-attend event for all ag retailers. Hosted from February 9-11...
- Five Reasons You Should Attend #CAARcon The 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference provides ag retailers an opportunity for continuing education, engaging through networking opportunities, potential to earn up to 10 CEU's, bid on items at the Pro-Ag Investments Onli...
- 2021 Virtual CAAR Conference Speaker Spotlight: Sam Taylor The past year has been a rollercoaster ride for agriculture production due to COVID-19, with trade disruptions occurring as a result of logistics issues, embargoes and tariffs. This session will review the state of g...