CAAR is proud to offer safety training and regulatory compliance assistance, as well as resources dedicated to helping members stay up to date on critical knowledge and certification. See below for highlighted Anhydrous Ammonia and Transportation of Dangerous Goods Training opportunities available to CAAR members.
Anhydrous Ammonia: Retailer Safe Handling and TDG Certification
CAAR’s training course on the safe handling of anhydrous ammonia provides ag retailers with the certification, skills and knowledge to properly handle and transport this hazardous chemical on their operations.
Sponsored by CF Industries, this anhydrous ammonia course educates ag retailers on important considerations and regulations surrounding handling anhydrous ammonia in a retail environment. The course includes a number of important topics, ranging from chemical properties and characteristics, to site safety and security, to transferring procedures.
Successful trainees will receive a TDG certificate, confirming they are qualified to handle and transport anhydrous ammonia (Class 2.3 (8)) in a retail or distribution centre setting, valid for three years. The course is offered both online and through in-person training.
This course is exclusively available for ag retailers. Not a retailer? Producers can register for ‘Anhydrous Ammonia: Safety & the Farmer – TDG Certification’.
Click here to register for the Anhydrous Ammonia: Retailer Safe Handling and TDG Certification training course.
Anhydrous Ammonia: Safety & the Farmer – TDG Certification
This course is supported by Fertilizer Canada and is available both online and through in-person training and registration is complimentary for CAAR Members.
This updated training course on the safe handling of anhydrous ammonia gives producers the certification, skills and knowledge to properly handle and transport this chemical on their operations.
The course covers everything farmers need to know about the transport and safe handling of anhydrous ammonia on the farm. Participants will learn about several topics, including safe-handling and characteristics of ammonia, first aid procedures in case of emergency, maintenance of nurse tank and applicator unit, connection and disconnection of nurse tank to the applicator and so much more. The course will also cover the Transportation of Dangerous Goods legislation and WHMIS procedures.
The course also includes a Safety and the Farmer downloadable booklet, which covers the most recent updates to the TDG Regulations in Module 7 (Emergency response and incident reporting) and discusses the three types of reporting:
i.) Emergency (Immediate)
ii.) Release or Anticipated Release
iii.) Follow Up
Successful trainees will receive a Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) certificate, signifying they are qualified to transport and handle anhydrous ammonia (Class 2.3 (8)). The certificate is valid for three years and registration is complimentary for CAAR members.
Click here to register for the Anhydrous Ammonia: Safety & the Farmer training course.
TDG Fundamentals: Retailer TDG Certification
CAAR’s TDG Fundamentals: Retailer TDG Certification course has been developed specifically for ag retailers and includes only TDG classes found in an ag retail facility. CAAR members can ensure employees understand the requirements of the TDG legislation and hold a valid certificate through this exclusive training course.
The online training courses covers the following topics:
- classification, nature and characteristics of dangerous goods
- shipping names
- the use of Schedules 1, 2 and 3
- the shipping documents
- dangerous goods safety marks
- certification safety marks requirements
- safety requirements and standards for means of containment
- emergency response assistance plan requirements
- accidental release reporting requirements
- safe handling and transportation practices for dangerous goods including the characteristics of dangerous goods.
Upon successful completion of the course, trainees will receive a TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) certificate valid for three (3) years from the date signed, confirming that they are qualified to handle, offer for transport and transport goods under Classes 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3, 5.1, 6.1, 8 and 9.
Click here to register for the TDG Fundamentals: Retailer TDG Certification course.
Training Opportunities Through CAAR
CAAR saves you time and money with exclusive training programs, specifically catering to the needs of the ag retailer, click here to learn more about the training programs available through CAAR.
- Get Ready For Spring and Renew Your Certifications Through CAAR CAAR has exclusive training programs to specifically meet the needs of the ag retailer and with spring quickly approaching, now is a great time to renew your certifications that can all be completed online from the c...
- CAAR NTSP Fall 2020 Training Status With increases of COVID-19 positive tests across the prairie provinces, CAAR will not be hosting in-person NTSP training for the Fall of 2020. As an alternative, CAAR will host virtual training events during the Fall...
- Investing in Certified Seed Program Developed by CSGA and available through CAAR, the Investing in Certified Seed program is designed to assist Canadian seed retailers develop the knowledge required to inform grower customers on the benefits certified ...
- Nurse Tank Safety Program Training Survey Reminder The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) is looking to host an in-person Nurse Tank Safety Training (NTSP) course if there is sufficient demand. Please complete the short survey by Monday, August 10 if you a...
- Nurse Tank Safety Program Training Survey 2020 The Canadian Association of Agri-Retailers (CAAR) is looking to host an in-person Nurse Tank Safety Training (NTSP) course if there is sufficient demand. Please complete the short survey by Monday, August 10 if you a...